Friday, December 12, 2008

Random events?

See that link on the left for Recent Northeast quakes?

I took all 52 events listed there, and imported the data into Excel.

I made a graph of simply when the events occur. Is this a random sequence? Shouldn't they be evenly spaced? (Hint: no.)









click above for a better image

By the way, I love Excel, or at least used to. I think that after word processing, email, and web browsing, spreadsheets are the next most essential type of software for general geophysics. And I make my intro geology students learn to use Excel as well. The latest release of Excel 2008 has lots of horrific defaults and cumbersome menus, though. Thank you, Microsoft for your sucky improvements. Next year when I am on leave I will seriously look into alternatives, including open source freeware. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wave to us!